Saturday, October 2, 2010

Running at Your Pace


I was anxious to start back running after some time off, due to knee injuries. Excited and rearing to go, I went running with my two brothers(both in much better shape than me) around the nearby university. After one lap though, I had to stop to walk and fell behind. However, my pride could not let me fall so far behind so I started back running, pushing myself to reach my brothers. Because I was pushing myself beyond my limit I was not maintaining proper running form.


I did temporarily meet them, but it was not to last. I was so exhausted when I caught up, I had to stop again and they went on to finish the lap. At the time, reaching them for that one second was enough for me. After the run however, I felt the true consequences of my actions. In pushing myself way beyond my level of fitness, I lost form and did more harm than good, as my old injuries resurfaced.


I believe there are parallels between my running predicament and personal development. Sometimes in life we get caught up trying to emulate what we see from others and sacrifice everything for the end result. When we do this, we are doing ourselves a disservice. We need to be true to ourselves and focus on our own development. We also need to recognize that those running ahead of us were once like us and reached there through hard work and effort.


In terms of running this means maintaining proper form and progressing steadily. However in life, it may mean putting extra hours at work or school. We need to constantly be improving ourselves rather than trying to live the life of others.


I am happy to report that I was able to control my pride during my last run. I kept my pace and maintained proper form even though I was behind again.
Regarding the fact that I'm always behind, well, I'm working on that. Lol

No comments:

Post a Comment